2017 C.R.A.F.T. Apprentiship at Creek Shore Farms
What is C.R.A.F.T.
CRAFT is a network of farms that offer internships and plan education workshops for all the interns in their area. We support the pursuit of practical skills and career development in ecological agriculture. We are a part of CRAFT South-West Ontario.
For more information please visit CRAFT South-West Ontario
CRAFT at Creek Shore Farms
This year we are offering apprentiships for three people on our farm. We are seeking individuals who are passionate about agriculture and who want to gain hands on experience working on a small, organic farm. You will live and work on the farm alongside us as we progress through the season.
As part of your CRAFT apprentiship at Creek Shore Farms you will:
- Spend lots of time outdoors
- Work with us to develop an education plan that suits your interests and goals
- Attend CRAFT days at other farms in the network to see how they operate and participate in a focused learning module
- Take a half day each week to work on a focus project based on your education plan
- Spend time in a more formal education setting, learning key concepts a couple times each month
- Have access to our growing library of books
- Interact with customers and other farmers in the area
- Learn a lot about farming, while having a great time
What Will I Learn?
We will try to customize a learning plan to your individual interests, but the core of what you will learn will be:
- General business planning
- Crop planning
- Field preparation
- Weed and pest management
- Animal husbandry with pigs and chickens
- Proper use and care of tools
- Safe use of farm equipment
We are also able to offer specialized training for those interested in:
- Equipment maintenance, including welding and custom fabrication of farm equipment
- Construction, including building sheds, fencing and other shelters
- Farm accounting
Your focus project will be a way for you to explore a topic related to farming that will aid you in completing your education plan. This may be anything from growing specialized crops, food processing such as pickling or canning, spending more time learning trades such as welding or construction, or anything else you might want to explore. At the beginning of the year we will meet with you to help select a topic and create a learning plan for you to follow and each week you will have time to explore your focus.
Apprentices will work five and a half days a week, 8 hours a day, plus a half day set aside to work on the focus project. We are seeking those who are passionate about agriculture, motivated and capable of a hard, but rewarding days work.
In exchange for your labour you will receive accommodations, a $400 a month stipend, and our farm fresh produce.
How Do I Apply?
If this sounds like a good fit for you then please contact us so that we can set up an on-farm interview. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.